It is usually advisable to start a secondary school as an extension of the pre-existing primary school. This helps you in several ways. You are already prepared with the checklist of processes and documentation.
You are aware of the norms and guidelines for staring the school. Most of the set up processes are just an extension of the existing business. The very fact that you own a primary school makes your case stronger so as to get an approval for the secondary school for both, the affiliations and the sanctions. However, there are certain schools that are exclusively secondary and involve classes V to X.
Requirements for starting a secondary school in India can be listed as follows:
- If you have finalized the city, decide the location of your secondary school by researching the market and the audience. They type of school is also an important aspect. For example, a locality in the vicinity of an IT hub will prefer an IB, ICSE or a CBSE school. Avoid locations that already have a network of well-established schools.
- Decide the board or council for which you wish to apply for affiliation. This can help you get started with the set up and operations that are expected for the affiliations. In case you have a primary school, you can apply for affiliation for the extended classes and you can also start with a new affiliation from class V onwards.
- As you prepare the documentation of the affiliation, you can simultaneously work on the legal documents, NOCs and other statutory approvals. Contact your local Municipal authorities, education department and health departments for more information.
- Basic infrastructure, interior and human resource planning are a must for the approvals. These involve various aspects from land, building, layout, facilities and staff. Every board has its own set of conditions for a secondary school.
- Marketing is an important aspect. Develop a complete and attractive website for your school. You also need to advertise through hoardings, handouts and other media. Advertising gets you a good response.
- Fee structure and facilities need to be decided well in advance when you submit your business plan. You need to plan the fee structure that is convenient for parents and gives you profit too. You can also apply for government grants if you wish too.
- Once you are all set for admissions, you need to understand the parents’ expectations and counsel them. Expectations at a high school level are different from those at the playschool or primary level.
We are education consultants and help you understand how to open a secondary school in India.
The Indian General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is an international board that is run by Cambridge, UK. There are several schools in India that have opted for the IGCSE affiliation. With increase in the number of people going abroad and a lot of them coming back to India as well, the international boards have gained popularity. IGCSE is one such board and since this education is recognized by UK, it has become all the more popular.
If you want your school to be an IGCSE affiliated school, you need to apply and go through the process. You first need to understand procedure to start an IGCSE school in India, their requirements and quality standards. For example, they have their exam patterns, methods of curriculum implementation and so on. If you think you can follow these, you can go ahead and fill the application form.
As you move ahead with this, you also need to get a staff that is trained and prepared for this education. The application is reviewed by the Cambridge local representatives and they visit the school. During the visit for IGCSE recognition, the aspects that are reviewed are:
- Mission of the school and the educational values
- Management and Leadership
- Quality of teaching and learning
- Legal requirements
- Physical environment of the school
Examination administration, security measures and documentation are also reviewed thoroughly. With respect to the visit, you either get completely approved, approved with conditions or you might get rejected. However, even if you are not approved, you can still discuss this and re-apply when you are prepared to satisfy the requirements. If you get selected as a Cambridge school, you get a Welcome pack that describes the next set of actions to get started as a Cambridge school. The process may take three months or more depending on various conditions. The process involves the registration cost and the other set of expenditures that are essential to set up a Cambridge school.
We are a school consultancy services firm based in Mumbai and provide guidance on how to start an IGCSE school.
The Council of Indian School Certificate Examination, commonly known as ICSE is a popular mode of education in India. ICSE is supported by the Cambridge University local exams syndicate and hence has an international recognition. If you are thinking of starting a new ICSE school in India, you need to understand the requirements as listed below:
- You need an NOC from the State Government to get the affiliation of the Council.
- You need a registered Society or a Trust and also need a Managing Committee under them to manage the functioning of the school. There are certain terms and conditions related to the Trust or Society that you need to understand.
- There are defined conditions for the assets like land, infrastructure, classrooms, and library and so on.
- The appointment of number of teachers based on the student strength and their experience is also considered by the council.
- Infrastructure, apparatus and equipments for teaching various subjects at all the levels is mandatory.
- There are minimal requirements for examinations, fees, maintenance of school records and so on.
You can also apply for a provisional affiliation which can then be converted to a permanent one. Once you apply for the affiliation, you need to prepare for a visit.
After this inspection, the authorities decide whether the affiliation can be given to the school. In case you are rejected you can still consider for re-application after a period of time provided you complete the compliances for the procedure to start an ICSE school in India.
You also need to pay the fees for the provisional and permanent affiliation as required. If you later plan to start with the ISC classes, you need to understand the process for that affiliation as well.
We are school set up consultants and provide assistance on how to open an ICSE board school. We also provide help to follow the ICSE school bye Laws for affiliation.
The Central Board of Secondary Education is a self-financing body that provides affiliation to primary and secondary schools in India. CBSE affiliated schools are prominent in India and parents are keen to get their kids pursue this education through this board. CBSE affiliation is a distinct process with their standards and requirements. You can even convert or create an extension of the CBSE affiliation in your existing school. CBSE provides provisional, regular and permanent affiliation that may be subjected to certain terms and conditions.
As you proceed with the setup of your school, you can get started with acquiring CBSE school affiliation procedure in India:
- You can apply for CBSE affiliation if you are a private unaided school. Similarly Government aided or public sector schools and those supported by Government departments can apply too. You need to read the CBSE Bye Laws for affiliation and carefully understand the type and conditions of affiliations to apply for a suitable one.
- You need to pay the affiliation fee as per the rules and duration specified.
- If you are a private and unaided school, in order to be recognized as a CBSE school, you need to provide the following:
- You need a recognition letter or NOC from the State Government or a request letter from the State Government for the new school.
- If you are an education institute abroad, you need a recommendation from Indian Embassy.
- A documented evidence of your society or Trust being a registered one under the appropriate act needs to be submitted.
- You need to submit the ownership or lease of requisite land. This should be in the name of the school or the concerned Society/Trust. The lease, period is 30 years.
- You need to submit documents related to the appointment of prescribed number of trained and qualified teachers as prescribed in the conditions. The payment of the staff should also be defined as per the State/Central Government rules.
- Evidence in the form of an affidavit needs to be submitted to prove the non-proprietary nature of the Trust or Society that will manage the school.
- Apart from the points listed above, you also need to understand other relevant requirements and complete the CBSE school opening procedure meticulously. Several other requirements and expectations related to infrastructure, student teacher ratio, facilities, curriculum and so on need to be looked into.
We are school consultancy services in India and help you understand how to start a CBSE School.
School audits or academic audits are carried out to ensure that the academic policies that have been designed are adhered to and the relevant supporting documentation is in place.
The auditors also see to it that the adherence to these policies have benefitted the students and has raised the school performance. School academic audits can be carried out for individual schools or for a network of schools under a single institution.
The teaching staff and non teaching staff need to be a part of the audit. The school audit process also emphasizes on quality management in terms of human resources, infrastructure facilities and teaching methodologies.
The auditors usually recommend having standard templates and checklists for the audits. School improvement programs can be designed by the schools with an objective to improve student achievements and the effectiveness of teachers and school leaders. The programs can be customized based on the requirement of the school. Short term programs can analyze and design effective tools and resources for the overall quality performance.
A specially designed long program can have phases. Each phase can concentrate on various grades and types of students and study the teaching methods adopted for them and their effectiveness. Teachers need to be an active part of these programs so as to understand the students and work on the teaching methods.
Students are involved in this program through assessment sheets and evaluation questionnaires. The school improvement program can be conducted by the school authorities or the Society members. Based on the report of the current program, the goals for the next year are determined.
Measures to improve the drawbacks of the school are designed and followed. The program may be conducted at desired durations as required.
We are school accounting, budgeting, and auditing services in India and provide school audit consultancy services and school improvement programs in India.